Many products in life are made of stainless steel pipe (ss pipe), and there are different types of stainless steel, such as 304 and 316 models. These are stainless steel models, and different models have different physical properties.
Difference between 304 stainless steel and 316 stainless steel:
1. The chemical composition is different: 304 has no molybdenum element, while 316 has molybdenum element.
2. Different corrosion resistance: 304 contains only 9% nickel elements, while 316 contains 12% nickel elements, so the corrosion resistance of 304 is worse.
3. Different performance: 304 has better corrosion resistance, acid resistance and alkali resistance, while 316 has better chloride corrosion resistance and heat resistance due to the addition of molybdenum.
4. The scope of application is different: 304 is widely used to make pots and pans, etc., while 316 is widely used in the food industry, medical industry, watch industry, etc.
5. Different prices: Since 316 is food grade and has better corrosion resistance, the price of 316 will be more expensive than 304.
How to distinguish 304 stainless steel and 316 stainless steel tableware?
1. If you look at 304 and 316 stainless steel with the naked eye, there is generally no difference, so many merchants sell 304 stainless steel as 316 for their own benefit, but the price difference between the two is still quite large, because 316 belongs to food Grade, better corrosion resistance, so the price of 316 will be more expensive than 304. If you spend 316 money but buy back 304 stainless steel tableware, it means that you have spent a lot of money.
2. Since the chemical components added to 304 and 316 are different, when distinguishing the two, professional stainless steel potions can also be used to distinguish them. After dripping the potion on the stainless steel, the surface of the 304 material is generally a little red, while the surface of the 316 material will be black.
3. If there is no professional potion, you can also use a magnet to test and distinguish. If the stainless steel is made of 304, it cannot be attracted by the magnet. However, the accuracy of this method is relatively low.
4. In fact, if it is just for home use, there is no need to choose 316 material, because the characteristics of 304 are completely in line with household standards, so you can avoid buying only 304 products at the price of 316 material.
Go here to learn more about " Manufacturing Process of Stainless Steel Seamless Pipe"